[elephant-devel] QDBM Support

Ian Eslick eslick at media.mit.edu
Wed Feb 13 14:39:41 UTC 2008

Technicalities aside, isn't the spirit of that license essentially:
"if you make money off BDB, we should too".  So SVN is a product that
is free, BDB is too.  I also thought that commercial web sites using
BDB as a store were intended to be covered too - that seems to be the
community concensus.

It's the definition of linking that is usually troublesome with Lisp
and licensing.  If we look at it like Python as you intend below, then
only the Lisp image itself need be open source (i.e. SBCL).  However
Lisp is also compiled and dynamically linked with the image, which
tends to make us look a little bit more like a dynamically linked
program that GNU, in general, considers part of the application (i.e.
contaminated)

Has anyone ever really ruled on this point in the Lisp community?
This is in large part the reason for the LLGPL approach that Franz
takes.  The GPL technically says that a GPL library contaminates the
whole lisp image, including application code.  This is why I advocated
the switch of the Elephant code license from GPL to LLPGL.

Actually, Franz might have some light to shed on this (they clearly
had to pay for AllegroStore, but they might understand the licensing
issues better).

Ian