[elephant-devel] DB migration issue

quan hu ihuquan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 14:34:14 UTC 2008

Hello,

      After more investigation, here are some suspects:

      In the current elephant codes, the macro my-current-transaction will
check if the current transaction belongs to the sc parameter.   If not, just
return +NULL-CHAR+. That's exactly the case in the following nested
transaction where the store-controller is different.
      The situation becomes:
             Transaction 1 begins
                    One data is put into DB with Transaction
1
                    Another data is put into the same DB with NULL
transaction parameter(i.e. no transaction??)

       It looks like this scenario is not supported by BDB.
       I simulate above case with a C program to access BDB and get the
similar failure symptom.
  txn1 = NULL;
  ret = dbenvp1->txn_begin(dbenvp1, NULL, &txn1, 0);
  if (ret != 0) {
    printf ("Transaction begin failed.\n");
    return 1;
  }
  put_record(FOO,FOO,txn1, dbp1);
  printf("foo\n");
  put_record(FOO,FOO,NULL, dbp1);
  printf("bar\n");
  txn1->commit(txn1,0);
  printf("baz\n");
 After "foo" is printed, the C program is blocked.  If I change the NULL to
txn1, everything is fine.

 Regarding to the solution, my gut feeling is that it would be difficult to
avoid this kind of nested transaction in migrate process, because of the
recursive function call. Maybe,  *transaction-stack*  can be added to track
the active transaction stack. Get it pushed and poped in right place of
execute-transaction. Then, in my-current-transaction, check
*transaction-stack* to see if there is an active transaction belongs to the
same store-controller. If it is found, use it.   My simple test shows it
works. If this is the right direction, I can do more test.

Thanks for your help.
Quan