[elephant-devel] Optimization

Elliott Slaughter elliottslaughter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 20:15:30 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Ian Eslick <eslick at media.mit.edu> wrote:

> I implemented a quick check-in/check-out protocol for persistent

objects.

Nice. Mind sharing?

A standard-object slot allows about 50M updates-sec
> A persistent-object slot (inside a txn) is about 60k updates-sec
> A cached persistent-object slot is about 3M updates-sec

I implemented my own version of caching using Alex's suggestion (with slot
defs caching their values in hash tables).

With a simple loop (code attached), I get about 30M updates per second (Hz)
for standard slots, about 30 kHz for persistent slots, and about 2.4 MHz
using my caching scheme.

The slot access protocol adds about 10x overhead per slot read but the
> cached access is about 50x faster than the pure persistent query.
> I'll see if there are some easy opportunities to speed things up.

I observed about the same performance differences (although I saw closer to
an 100x difference between persistence and caching).

My method uses hash table lookups for slot reads, which makes me wonder if
I'd get better performance by using a slot caching protocol more similar to
the default implementation.

Anyways, using cached slots in my game results in a 2x speed increase,
although it still runs 2x to 3x slower than the completely in-memory
version. I guess I have other performance concerns to think about than just
slot reads.

Ian