[elephant-devel] Postmodern backend; are values ever removed from the blob table

Alex Mizrahi killerstorm at newmail.ru
Thu Dec 11 12:56:43 UTC 2008

 HH> I agree with Alex, just one perhaps obvious comment: I would have one
 HH> transaction around cleaning up one blob-id, not a big transaction
 HH> around cleaning up the whole blob table. If you do several
 HH> transactions it doesn't lock up much, so it
 HH> should be able to execute at the same time as a database is in
 HH> production.

i think with PostgreSQL's concurrency model (MVCC) locks will be of
no harm -- iirc only concurrent updates of same values block one another.
here we are not doing concurrent updates, and so it should go fine in one
transaction, probably will work way faster too. i won't bet on it, though,
it's better to test to be sure