[elephant-devel] Error when loading elephant on Mac OS with Lispworks 5.1

Chun Tian (binghe) binghe.lisp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 03:06:36 UTC 2008

Hi,

> On 4/7/08, Jens Teich <info at jensteich.de> wrote:
>> Lispworks 5.1
>> Mac OS X 10.5
>> **++++ Error in (DEFCLASS ELEPHANT:BTREE-INDEX):
>> Invalid allocation type INSTANCE for slot-definition-allocation
>
> There seems to have been a MOP conformance fix with Lispworks 5.1
> which causes
> the (setf slot-definition-allocation) on (or around) line 250 in
> metaclasses.lisp to fail.
> Changing the conditionalization to #+(and :lispworks (not
> :lispworks5.1)) seems to resolve the issue, although what this really
> needs is an ACL like version test feature to prevent this recurring.

There's no ACL like version test feature, but LW version feature is
enough because LW is much stable. So I suggest to use (remove
the :lispworks3 as you wish)

#+(and :lispworks3 :lispworks4 :lispworks5.0)

instead of

#+(and :lispworks (not :lispworks5.1))

As former will fit all later LispWorks releases. See this:

http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/lw51/RNIG/html/readme-364.htm#pgfId-918212

And this is another LispWorks 5.1 MOP change will may be useful to know:

http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/lw51/RNIG/html/readme-363.htm#pgfId-918977

Regards,

Chun Tian (binghe)