[elephant-devel] Re: Multi user client-server performance

Vagif Verdi vagif at cox.net
Sun Apr 6 00:45:46 UTC 2008

AM>in elephant we have several different backends:
AM > * BDB one is primary one, APIs were modelled according to capabilities
AM> of BDB
AM> * CLSQL can work with any SQL database supported by CLSQL (that's good),

AM>but has some significant "sub-optimalities"
AM> * Postmodern can work with PostgreSQL only (uses "postmodern" library,
AM>hence the name) and has less sub-optimalities than CLSQL

I do not see any technical reason using elephant with relational backend
stores. It does not buy me sql capabilities, because table schema is
butchered to make it work as key-value store. And trying to query it with
sql from outside of elephant would be hard (if not impossible)
Yet choosing sql backend, I'm gonna lose speed on the order of magnitude (in
simple cases) and I suspect more in case of complex hierarchies of objects.

The only non technical reason I see to use non Berkeley db backends is due
to licensing. But BDB's GPL licensing works fine for me (inhouse use.)