[elephant-devel] Multi user client-server performance

Vagif Verdi vagif at cox.net
Sat Apr 5 00:24:48 UTC 2008

I'm looking for a object database to play with and possibly adopt for future
projects, and I'm reading elephant site and manuals so far.

I have a few questions to clarify.

Reading Allegrocache site
http://www.franz.com/products/allegrocache/AllegroCache_for_ILC_2005.htm I
stumbled into this remark:

"In order to ensure isolation, the Berkeley DB code employs aggressive
locking and uses low level OS locking primitives.  The result is that the
Lisp application just froze when the process was waiting for access to data.
This does not fit well with Lisp's own multithreading."

Since I'm interested to use elephant with Berkeley db, I want to ask, how it
fares in multi-user client-server environment?

Are there real life usage scenarios and if yes, how many users and what size
of database?

Regards,

Vagif Verdi.