[elephant-devel] Re: traversing btree using multiple indices

Sean Ross rosssd at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 10:36:02 UTC 2008

On 4/4/08, Alex Mizrahi <killerstorm at newmail.ru> wrote:
>  (defclass test-event ()
>   ((date :accessor date-of :initform (now) :index t) ...
>  and it will create indices for you automatically.

Yes, although this is just an example of what I'm trying to achieve
and isn't exactly what i'm doing. I'm really just curious about using
2 btree indices together without requiring the creation of a 3rd.

>  i believe that SQL RDBMS work this way too -- if one needs fast retrieval by
>  several keys, he should create index on them. RDMBS knows how to sort
>  tuples, though

Well yes, but generally SQL RDBMS's will make efficient use of indexes
it they are created on all the keys without requiring a combined

sean.