[elephant-devel] CVS HEAD w/ lispworks 5.0.1 linux

Ian Eslick eslick at csail.mit.edu
Tue May 8 11:26:26 UTC 2007

Henrik,

I don't see this as a patch needed in RC1.  I'm happy to add more
default configurations as examples in the development tree, but it is
expected/required that users will customize my-config.sexp to be
appropriate for their systems (see Installation chapter) as Lisp does
not have enough information to determine where the libs are
definitively.

For example, the /opt/local entry is using DarwinPorts on the Mac,
but if I installed from source my Mac would have /usr/local/
BerkeleyDB.4.5 as the BDB root.  Some linux systems have the libs pre-
installed (i.e. via apt-get on Debian) so would use paths

/usr/include
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/libdb.4.5.so
/usr/bin/db45_deadlock

which wouldn't work for the linux build you sent.

Now we could consider providing a list of canonical locations, using
the platform & lisp as a hint, and write a routine that searches
those locations for the lib and include files prompt the user to fix
their my-config.sexp only if it failed.  I prefer to make the user do
one set of configuration steps in one location so they think through
their options, but I'm open to an alternative approach.  My thinking
is that if we load the wrong lib by accident the error messages are
likely to be low-level failures that are very confusing.  I think
some of the recent list traffic has demonstrated this.

Ian