[elephant-devel] 0.6.1 alpha dependency

Ian Eslick eslick at csail.mit.edu
Fri Mar 16 20:34:01 UTC 2007

For coding efficiency, we use a byte tag to indicate the type rather
than the symbol returned from type-of.  Turns out all lisps but
lispworks have short-float = single-float and long-float = double-
float, but the lisp spec provides for four different types.
Therefore short-float is not a subtype of single-float as is true in
most lisps.  Up until lispworks, there was no need for special
handling of the short-float type, so while I'll still store it as a
single-float, I'll use the new tag to properly coerce the type on
deserialization so the types are the same (otherwise it fails the
regression suite).

There are other, similar issues but none so far that require new tags.

Ian