[elephant-devel] garbage collection

Ian Eslick eslick at csail.mit.edu
Wed Jul 11 19:18:29 UTC 2007

Some documentation:

http://common-lisp.net/project/elephant/doc/Repository-Migration-and-
Upgrade.html#Repository-Migration-and-Upgrade

http://common-lisp.net/project/elephant/doc/Migration-and-Upgrading-
API.html#Migration-and-Upgrading-API

This is the safest route:

Start lisp & load elephant:

=> (setf source-store (open-store '(:BDB "~/bdb/db-source")))
=> (setf target-store (open-store '(:BDB "~/bdb/db-result")))

=> (migrate target-store source-store)

Exit and restart lisp:

=> (open-store '(:BDB "~/bdb/db-result"))

That's it!

I recommend that you run a simple validation test:
- create a simple database
- populating it with a bunch of data, record the size
- delete 1/2 of the data randomly (or every other object)
- call (optimize-layout *store-controller*), record the compacted size
- do the migration as described above, record the resulting size

I'm sure we'd love to see the three different sizes that result from
this simple test and I'm sure you'd feel better knowing that it works!

Regards,
Ian