[elephant-devel] Re: Live backup

Ian Eslick eslick at csail.mit.edu
Tue Dec 11 14:28:08 UTC 2007

Copying all the data from a store isn't a big problem, copying a store
without creating inconsistent state while the application continues to
run is the challenge I thought the user was interested in.  If you do
it at the application level within a transaction (even if it did fit
in memory) you would either implicitly halt all activity or constantly
be aborted by any write operation anywhere in the db.

While there is not an 'elephant' level way to do live backups, each
underlying data store has it's own methods as pointed out by Henrik
and Alex for the SQL cases.

Berkeley DB also supports low-level hot backups if you know that your
OS reads file pages atomically.  (http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/db/ref/transapp/archival.html
)  For an example see the source code for db_hotbackup in the BDB
distribution.

Ian