[elephant-devel] a job for the query system?

Joe Corneli jcorneli at planetmath.org
Tue Aug 14 22:14:30 UTC 2007

I want to work with some objects like this:

 Things --
 [key: OID | slots: name, data]

 Triples (subclass of Thing) --
 [slots: beginning, middle, end]

 Theories (subclass of Thing) --
 pset (?) of elements: [key: name | slot: OID of some Thing]

Ian Eslick has already helped me by putting together an implementation
covering Things and Triples in a very slick way.

 http://planetmath.org/~jcorneli/variant-4.lisp

In particular, the current implementation enables the user to find all
Triples which match on any particular data in the three slots.  Note:
the schema is not precisely what I've listed above, which brings me to
my first question:

Question 1.  What should I do to key a persistent class by its OID?

Theories have yet to be implemented.  The schema is set up so that
Things to live in a Universe and Theories designate arbitrary subsets
of that Universe.  The challenge that I want the data-matching
routines to work within a given Theory.  This way, a Theory can be
viewed as a sub-network of the semantic net that the Universe as a
whole comprises.

I am pretty sure Ian indicated that this can be done using the up and
coming "query system".  Which brings me to:

Question 2.  Does this indeed look like something the query system can
handle?

Question 3.  Does this look like a good set-up?

Question 3.  How can I learn more about this query system and when is
it expected to be available?