[elephant-devel] Stored procedures

Pierre THIERRY nowhere.man at levallois.eu.org
Wed Apr 11 16:49:48 UTC 2007

Scribit Robert L. Read dies 11/04/2007 hora 09:01:
> The real problem here is that Elephant is so different, and so much
> more powerful and convenient than a relational system, that [...] if
> we use a relational benchmark, we are tying our hands behind our back.

We could also look at OO specific benchmarks. A friend of mine wrote
one, named OCB benchmark (for his PhD thesis, IIRC):

http://eric.univ-lyon2.fr/~jdarmont/?page=logiciels&lang=eng

> CLSQL-backend for a general databases and as a starting point for
> writing database-specific backends, but a (hopefully) collection of
> database-specific backends that can provide better performance.

I would have thought that adding DB-specific optimizations to the CLSQL
backend would be easier to maintain... Won't there be a huge sharing of
code between those DB-specific full backends?

> The one thing I don't ever want to do is give up backend-independence.
> I hope I'm not the only person who sees tremendous benefit in being
> able to switch your backend implementation choice at any time.

I do. I used PostgreSQL at first and it proved to be overkill for what I
was doing, and even some of my uses were badly slow with it (notably
redefinitions of classes clearly showed the DB to eat CPU). Switching to
a file-based DB (SQLite, not BDB, in my case) made my day...

Curiously,
Pierre
nowhere.man at levallois.eu.org
OpenPGP 0xD9D50D8A