[elephant-devel] Stored procedures

Pierre THIERRY nowhere.man at levallois.eu.org
Tue Apr 3 17:31:12 UTC 2007

Scribit Robert L. Read dies 03/04/2007 hora 11:08:
> Stored procedures tend to not be very portable; therefore to put them
> in the current "postgres" backend, which should really be called a
> "clsql" backend, would make it less likely to work with MySQL.

I was thinking at having some PostgreSQL-specific bits within the clsql
backend. That would apply to MySQL or any other DB that can use stored
procedures to make some queries faster.

> However, this raises and interesting question:  Is performance a
> significant problem (at least for the Postgres users?)  If you had a
> "wish list" for Elephant features, would better performance be at the
> top?

I just don't want to be limiting. The only way to go seemed to me to be
to benchmark various uses of stored procedures. On the other hand,
having a cache for read queries, as was discussed earlier, could well
make the stored procedure useless. Or not. Well, we need to measure.

Doubtfully,
Pierre
nowhere.man at levallois.eu.org
OpenPGP 0xD9D50D8A