[elephant-devel] Inviting comment on future plans

Robert L. Read read at robertlread.net
Tue Apr 3 16:30:04 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 17:36 +0200, Pierre THIERRY wrote:

> Scribit Ian Eslick dies 03/04/2007 hora 09:28:
> > moving towards a 1.0 release in the near future.  Therefore  the
> > current CVS (0.6.1 beta) will shortly become 0.9rc1.
>
> Why use such a confusing numbering? There's no need for a 0.9 before
> 1.0, so you could as well have some "road-to-1.0" branch receive bug
> fixes for stability and performance, and then release out of it a series
> of RC: 1.0rc1, 1.0rc2, etc.

I'm pleased that you think Elephant is ready for a 1.0 release, but
unfortunately Ian and I disagree.  Ian and I have a number of small
features that we think are needed to be "1.0 complete", not lease of
which is an off-line garbage collection, and the integration of the
"postmodern" backend.

My impression is that within the open-source community (unlike, for
example, Microsoft), the number "0.9" means "Almost ready for primetime
but not fully documented and may require tweaks." whereas "1.0" means
"We've had this thing used by hundreds of people and it is so stable
that we don't plan to change it right away".

I think it is best that we try to follow standard procedures, even if
those standards are quite nebulous, for the sake of the users.

Of course, this may be a tempest in a teapot --- except for the users
who post on this list (to whom I would like to repeat: THANK YOU!) I
have no idea if the number of users is in the 10s or 100s---but I know
we won't get 1000s unless we plan for it, and that means using the most
professional processes that we can.