[elephant-devel] Persistance and Model Validations

Ian Eslick eslick at csail.mit.edu
Sat Sep 9 18:08:31 UTC 2006

Took me awhile to get back to this:

There are no hooks today other than in the backend, that you could wrap
around
the backend start, abort and commit transaction calls but there would be
no way
to know what is committed because the transactions are at the data
level, not the
object level.

This kind of functionality would probably be easier to add to Rucksack,
but as Robert
says you could write your own protocol and macro that leveraged the
transaction
machinery.  Pardon the naming convention:

;; User IF

(defparameter *active-objects* nil)

(def-validator (type)
   <validation code>)

(def-fetch (id)
   <add obj ref *active-objects* if found>)

(with-validation ()
   <use fetch to get object references, then modify normally>)

;; Implementing with-validation

(defmacro with-validation (() &body body)
   `(let ((*active-objects* nil))
      (declare (special *active-objects*))
      (unwind-protect
          (progn , at body)
         (let ((abort-p nil))
        (dolist (obj *active-objects*)
           (unless (validate obj)
              (setq abort-p t)))
        (dolist (obj *active-objects*)
           (if abort-p
                (delete obj)
                (save obj)))
       (if abort-p
           (abort-transaction)
           (commit-transaction)))))

If you've defined a validator for an object, you can use with-validators
to build a transactional function that retrieves one or more objects,
does some computation and then runs validation on all fetched objects
prior to committing them.  This requires that you have a way of keeping
track of what was touched (via registration on using 'fetch') so it
would have to build into your application API that required user use
that function so you can guarantee to call validate, save or delete on
all modified objects.

Following this model, a user can implement :before and :after methods
around validate, delete and save specialized on the object classes in
question and then take appropriate action.  For example if you wanted to
index an object when it was saved as in Robert's example you would
(defmethod save :after ()).  Because of the fine-grained, storage-level
model of data in Elephant, delete and save do not actually do the work
to revert or store the data, but can be used as a change point for user
overloading.   Again, Rucksack has the same object-centric view of the
world that I think the Ruby system has so would be easier to adapt to
this worldview.

You can also use :around if you need to get at the results of calling
validate.

(FYI - the above code fragments don't handle other cases requiring
aborts (non-local flow of control, etc) nor does it account for what
happens if a user calls (abort-transaction) manually.)

Ian