[elephant-devel] trouble getting going (with open-store, ...)

Robert L. Read read at robertlread.net
Thu Oct 5 15:13:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 01:23 -0700, Red Daly wrote:

> however, I am unable to open a store according to the instructions in
> the two tutorials on the common-lisp.net project site.  Here is an
> example attempt:
>
> * (open-store "store")

Dear Team,
    This syntax is (very) obsolete, as Ian has pointed out.  I don't
think this example occurs in
the current tutorials for elephant itself (here: http://common-
lisp.net/project/elephant/doc/), but
does occur in the "with-araneida" tutorial: http://common-
lisp.net/project/elephant/with-araneida/
That tutorial is about two years out of date; I think it is still
valuable for showing an example
use of Elephant for a small but meaningful application.  It is not
really within my power in the
short term to repair it (although Ian and I have discussed creating a
contemporary version of
something similar, and we would welcome a good "example app" from this
list.)
    However, it is terrible that it leaves unmarked examples that are
out of date and wasted
your time.  I'm sorry about that and will go clearly indicate the
obsolete nature of that tutorial.
(If you find a bad example in the elephant tutorial, please inform me
--- I ran all of those examples
by hand before the 0.6.0 release, but I have an extraordinary ability to
step in a bucket.)