[elephant-devel] Querying Advice [w/code example]

Daniel Salama lists at infoway.net
Mon Nov 13 18:43:03 UTC 2006

Ok.

I got Elephant to work again with SBCL on PPC. I guess I was still
using BDB 4.3 when 4.4 seems to be required. I couldn't find that
anywhere in the docs.

I see what you're saying and can start to envision where this can go.
I will keep playing and provide more feedback later today.

FYI, for curiosity purposes, I just ran (random-users 5000) on an
empty database and it took 5 min 56 secs to complete. At the end, the
%ELEPHANT file was 9MB in size and both log files where 10MB. That's
kind of big considering what it does.

I then made the random-users2 function to look like:

(defun random-users2 (n)
   (setq *auto-commit* nil)
   (with-transaction ()
     (dotimes (x n)
       (let ((u (make-instance
                 'User
                 :uname (format nil "user~A" x)
                 :pword (random-password)
                 :email (format nil "user~A at .nowheresville.org" x)
                 :fullname (format nil "~A~A ~A~A" (random-password)
x (random-password) x)
                 :balance (random 100))))
         (add-to-root x u))))
   (setq *auto-commit* t))

When I ran (random-users2 5000) I got a Berkeley DB Error: Cannot
allocate memory, so I changed random-users2 to:

(defun random-users2 (n)
   (setq *auto-commit* nil)
   (start-ele-transaction)
   (dotimes (x n)
     (if (eq (mod x 1000)
             0)
         (progn
           (commit-transaction)
           (start-ele-transaction)))
     (let ((u (make-instance
               'User
               :uname (format nil "user~A" x)
               :pword (random-password)
               :email (format nil "user~A at .nowheresville.org" x)
               :fullname (format nil "~A~A ~A~A" (random-password) x
(random-password) x)
               :balance (random 100))))
       (add-to-root x u)))
   (commit-transaction)
   (setq *auto-commit* t))

When I ran (random-users2 5000) on an empty database, this time it
only 25 secs to complete. The %ELEPHANT file was still 9MB in size
and both log files where also 10MB.

I suppose your code was not designed for performance and only for
illustration purposes. Needless to say, knowing how to use
transactions certainly helps and can dramatically affect application
performance.

My only concern at this moment (which I also mentioned in another
email) is the size of the data files. Whether or not that only
reflects the persistent storage and not necessarily the memory
footprint, I don't know. Therefore, if I loaded my database with
650,000 customer records, the data files will easily exceed 1GB of
storage, and that's just one "table".

Thanks,
Daniel