[elephant-devel] Add indexed persistent class slots to elephant?

Zach Beane xach at xach.com
Tue Jan 24 17:13:40 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:43:16AM -0500, Ian Eslick wrote:

> That reminds me.  Without GC and/or renaming oids we'll eventually run
> out of OID address space, again when the DB gets enough use.  I haven't
> seen any provisions for fixnum wrap-around.  Am I missing something or
> is this correct?

This isn't a direct comment, but I recently came across this book:

   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0136298338/102-6097685-4704118

It has a concise but interesting chapter on the design and
implementation of the Statice database. You can also find it on
Abebooks for $1.

I don't have it in front of me, but IIRC it described Statice OIDs as
96 bit and intended to be unique across space and time. It also said
that the database was *never* garbage collected.

Zach