[elephant-devel] Elephant Collections

Waldo Rubinstein waldo at trianet.net
Fri Jan 6 00:00:55 UTC 2006

Hi again,

I'm interested in learning about the collections supported by Elephant.

I have a need to store [very large] "flat" collections. For example,
I want to store 2 million objects of approximately 1K bytes in size,
ordered by date (an object attribute).

The only reference to collections in Elephant I have seen is the
tutorial using btrees and indexed-btrees. What will happen when I
load this many objects in a btree. When I get a hold of the
persistent btree, will it keep everything in memory or will it read
in memory the objects that I fetch from it?

Also, I have another case. I have to store about 100 objects where
each of these objects has a reference to a collection of other
objects. The sub-collection of objects don't need to be in any
particular sort sequence. I was thinking of using a resizable vector.
However, I was wondering the same questions as above. If I fetch one
of the 100 objects, will it automatically load in memory all the
objects in its sub-collection? The sub-collection objects may be
30,000 elements of approximately 1K bytes in size as well. How will
it behave if I need to traverse the sub-collection of objects of a
particular object? Will it, again, load all the elements in memory or
will it read from DB as needed?

Thanks,
Waldo