[elephant-devel] A thorny problem....

Klaus Harbo klaus at harbo.net
Sat Feb 18 20:08:43 UTC 2006

On 18/02/2006, at 20:21, Ian Eslick wrote:

> Klaus,
>
> Glad to hear I'm not messing things up for you too much.  I share your
> respect for Pascal's skills also.
>
> Would you be willing to bite off taking the lead on a Closer to MOP
> port
> as part of fixing the MOP implementation for lispworks?  I was
> thinking
> about doing it but won't be able to do it for awhile.  It's a hairy
> project but I'd be happy to support you and if we could find a
> couple of
> other testers we could slowly migrate one function at a time and test
> it.  Pascal is looking for other metaobject protocol
> implementations to
> test closer so I'm sure he'd be happy to help support.
>
> Pascal also works in Lispworks natively so might be motivated to make
> elephant work under lispworks.
>
> We shouldn't attempt this until after the current 0.6.0 is released
> however as there's already too much going on in this release.
> Hopefully
> 0.6.0 will come out next week or at least "very soon now".  :)
>
> Cheers,
> Ian

It's an interesting project, so I'm interested... ;-)  BUT, I don't
think I'm in a very good position right now to port Elephant to
Closer since I don't have a version of Elephant which works with my
preferred CL implementation!  I think the best I can do, short-term,
is to focus on getting Elephant to work with Lispworks.  A clear
separation of the backends will help, since I think the path of least
resistence to getting something to work with Lispworks is the
Postgres backend, and in this respect the Berkeley-related problems
is mostly noise.

When/if my current efforts result in reasonably working LW port of
Elephant, porting to Closer could be something I might venture to do.

best regards,

-Klaus.

PS BTW: Does anyone know anything about the licensing implications of
Oracle's recent acquisition of Sleepycat?

- The pencil is mightier than the pen -