[elephant-devel] Feature question

Ian Eslick eslick at csail.mit.edu
Fri Feb 10 03:40:39 UTC 2006

If we have persistent objects with persistent base classes - do we want
instances of a base class to also be indexed by class?

For example if I had a base class 'log' with an indexed slot 'date' and
two subclasses 'error-log' and 'warning-log' with their own indexed
slots.  Do I want to be able to find all instances of error-log and
warning-log in a given time interval by looking in the class index for
'log'?  Or should I search in both 'error-log' and 'warning-log'?
Currently I only index by the actual class of the instance and not it's
persistent indexed subclasses.

Writes get more expensive if we add this feature and dynamic class
changes (redefinition, change-class, etc) all get more complex.  Large
class hierarchies are also problematic.  For now I'm going to ignore
this and put the onus on the user.  Base classes with indexed slots all
end up in the secondary index with that slot name for the leaf subclass.