[elephant-devel] using btrees or not using btrees

Aycan iRiCAN aycan.irican at core.gen.tr
Wed Apr 19 19:47:09 UTC 2006

Hi,

What is the difference between 'using a btree for items' and 'using an
object to hold items'?

Say we have a node class. In the first method, I'm creating objects
and adding them to a btree.

(add-to-root 'nodes (make-indexed-btree))
(dolist (item (create-100-node))
  (setf (get-value 'key 'nodes) item))

Now I can use cursors and indexes to reach nodes. In the second
method, I'm using an objects slot to hold nodes.

(add-to-root 'nodes (make-instance 'node-container :nodes '()))
(dolist (item (create-100-node))
  (push item (nodes (get-from-root 'nodes))))

Because of ease of use and maintainability, we're thinking that the
second method is better than the first method. We can get a backup
with a single cl-store call, we can easily walk the structure
etc.

Any ideas?

Best Regards.

--