[elephant-devel] Third attempt to send message (attachments removed)

Dan Knapp dankna at accela.net
Sun Oct 16 12:48:14 UTC 2005

   Well, I'm still using Elephant.  I'm happy to see your port,
although I have not run up against the licensing issues with
Sleepycat, so I don't really need it.

   I really wish I could volunteer my own time to keep Elephant
alive... it's an excellent project but it can't last without a
maintainer.  Somebody ought to put out a call for maintainership on
Planet Lisp, comp.lang.lisp, etc.  There may be people with the time
to spare who aren't on this mailing list...

   In answer to your question, I think this should be the next
version of Elephant, in that otherwise it looks like things are going
to end up unmaintained anyway.  Have I understood correctly, that the
Sleepycat backend still works with this version, although you can't
guarantee it won't break in future?  Not that my answer changes if
not, but if that's the case I see it as a no-brainer.

   Elephant isn't truly what I would call a large project, so
hopefully you will find maintaining it easier than you expect.  It's
just a little hard to get oriented in somebody else's code, isn't
it?  You'll get the hang of it though.

   Do you need web space to let people get your patch?  I can host it
for you.

-- Dan Knapp