[elephant-devel] Bug report --- hanging lisp image with certain transaction commands on clean 0.2.1 installation

Robert L. Read read at robertlread.net
Thu Oct 13 23:35:40 UTC 2005

This series of operations hangs an out-of-the box 0.2.1 installation
on SBC 0.8.18 against BerkeleyDB 4.2 as well as the tip of the branch
against BerkeleyDB 4.3 (at least, in my code!

(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :elephant)
(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :elephant-tests)
(in-package "ELEPHANT-TESTS")

(open-store *testdb-path*)
#<STORE-CONTROLLER {92A4A81}>
ELE-TESTS> (start-transaction)
#<SB-ALIEN-INTERNALS:ALIEN-VALUE :SAP #X08279EE8 :TYPE (* T)>
ELE-TESTS> (commit-transaction)
#<SB-ALIEN-INTERNALS:ALIEN-VALUE :SAP #X00000000 :TYPE (* T)>
ELE-TESTS> (setq *current-transaction*
             (db-transaction-begin (controller-environment
                                    *store-controller*)))
#<SB-ALIEN-INTERNALS:ALIEN-VALUE :SAP #X08279EE8 :TYPE (* T)>
ELE-TESTS> (db-transaction-commit :transaction *current-transaction*)
NIL
ELE-TESTS> (defvar *friends-birthdays* (make-instance 'btree))
Control stack guard page temporarily disabled: proceed with caution
; Evaluation aborted
ELE-TESTS> (defvar *friends-birthdays* (make-instance 'btree))
*FRIENDS-BIRTHDAYS*
ELE-TESTS> (add-to-root "friends-birthdays" *friends-birthdays*)
; Evaluation aborted
ELE-TESTS>

The hang appears to be somehow have something to do with the LISP
state; if you restart the LISP, you can again connect without having
to run "db_recover" on the sleepycat database.

I discovered this bug in my own (highly changed) code and
went back to a clean 0.2.1 install to verify that it exists there.
I have not tried it in a clean install against BerkeleyDB 4.3 (that is,
the tip of the CVS trunk, with none of my modifications.)

I have no reason to belive this is important, but this sequence is
in the "tutorial" documentation.