[elephant-devel] DB_NOTFOUND and Unknown error: -5

Florian Obser florian.obser at t-online.de
Mon Nov 7 20:44:46 UTC 2005

Dear Robert,

Robert L. Read wrote:
> Dear Florian,
[...]
> I'd like to be as helpful as possible.  Are you dedicated to your
> particular version setup?
> For example, would you be willing to try the cvs branch SQL-BACK-END on
> SBCL 9.5? That
> is what I have mostly been working on, and will become Elephant 0.3.0
> unless someone
> finds a problem with it by next week.   It would be MUCH easier for me
> to debug this
> problem if you were on that set-up.  However, I know in some way that is
> a big change.

I'm not really dedicated to my setup, but I like to get as much software
out of the debian repository. This is by no means mission critical and I
consider my work with elephant and lisp recreational.
I considered switching to the sql backend myself but since the tutorial
mentioned that the sleepycat backend is better tested I tried that first.

Will sbcl 0.9.5 be a requirement for elephant 0.3.0 or do you think i
can stick with 0.8.16? Are the unicode-issues resolved?
I'm going to try the cvs-version as soon as I find the time, probably
next weekend.

> As an alternative, you could run the tests, and send me the output of
> that; that might
> provide some help.
>
> The tests for version 0.2.1 can be run via:
> (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :elephant-tests)
> (in-package "ELEPHANT-TESTS")
> (do-all-tests)

A quick test failed in the first line:
------------------------------
component "elephant-tests" not found
   [Condition of type ASDF:MISSING-COMPONENT]
------------------------------

This probably means that i messed up the elephant setup. If you're
really interested in the output I can try to get it running, but if not
I'm going to ignore the problem and switch to the cvs version and sql.

> Perhaps this is obvious, but the 0.2.1 system does work, at least under
> some
> configurations.
>
> Also, when you untar it, in the "tests" directory there is aleady a
> directory "testdb".
> I wonder if you would have this problem if you used that directory?

That doesn't change anything, probably because the directory is empty
(except for the CVS directory).

> As a further guess as to what might be wrong based on the backtraces,
> the third
> one is just because the "setq foo" failed due to the second failure.

Yes that's what I guessed.

> The first and
> second failures look like they are indeed failures in the BerkeleyDB
> system or
> right at the interface to it.  I don't mean by that that there is a bug
> in BerkeleyDB, just
> that this problem has something to do with the way BerkeleyDB is set up
> compared
> to your installation, rather than being a simple bug somewhere in
> Elephant LISP code.

Probably. When I searched google for "DB_NOTFOUND: No matching key/data
pair found" I got many hits related to many different projects so I
think that it's not that easy to set up libdb correctly.

> Hoping that somehow helps,

Yes, I think so. Thank you for the quick response.

- Florian