[elephant-devel] (no subject)

Waldo Rubinstein waldo at trianet.net
Thu Dec 15 19:32:05 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Lisp and very new to Elephant. I'm thinking of
developing some apps using UCW and Elephant and was wondering a few
things:

1) Is Elephant ready for production code even though it's still on
version 0.3.0?
2) How scalable is Elephant? I feel confident that Berkeley DB is
very robust even for large data repositories. But, does Elephant
scale well working with large repositories?
3) My application generates a lot of records. Some of these objects
(records) have complex structures (many levels of inheritance and
relations) and some are very flat. The ones that are very flat are
normally very large quantities (at least for me). I may be generating
about 10000 new simple objects on a daily basis. Does anyone have any
suggestion as to the proper storage of these? Would using something
like a btree be efficient enough for fast querying?
4) Is there any support for "LIKE" type searches in Elephant? Some of
the queries I currently run against MySQL are along the lines of
WHERE last_name LIKE 'smit%'. I would assume I could create secondary
indices for last_name (as an attribute), but will it allow me to do
"LIKE" searches?

Thanks for your support,
Waldo