[elephant-devel] Transient slots in non-persistent objects

Dan Knapp dankna at accela.net
Wed Oct 20 23:43:14 UTC 2004

> that's an intriguing option.  the MOP way to do this (not that it's
> particularly better) would be to subclass the standard slot definition
> class, and have the persistent-slot-p method specialize on class, not
> name.  in fact we already do this for slots in persistent classes, so
> there is an opportunity for integration here.  however getting
> defclass to use non-standard slot definition objects might be just as
> much work as using persistent classes.

   Why do you need to subclass it?  Can't you just define an :around
method for standard-slot (or whatever it's called)?  Then defclass
wouldn't need to do anything special.  I haven't thought this through,
it's just an idea.

   Hi, by the way!  I decided a couple days ago to give Elephant a try.
It was slightly annoying to install the prerequisites (I wish
asdf-install
were integrated with fink), but I got everything working.  It's a lot
more impressive than I thought it would be.

   While I'm writing, might as well ask my question.  It's not clear
from the manual:  Is there any way, kludgey or otherwise, to
redefine a persistent class and have all instances of it be updated?

-- Dan Knapp