[elephant-devel] Transient slots in non-persistent objects

Peter Bengtson peter at peterbengtson.com
Wed Oct 20 12:37:00 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm developing a server application in OpenMCL where I'm using Elephant
to store one single (large) object, read into memory at startup and
dumped back to the DB at shutdown. Thus, I do not use persistent CLOS
objects, only standard ones.

The data structure is heavily circular, and contains CLOS objects with
slots pointing to OS resources, such as sockets. I don't wish to save
these slots - they are transient.

Is there a way to specify this behaviour? I guess only the serializer
needs to be modified. It is of course possible work around it with an
:AROUND method on the slots in question and a special variable which
will make the accessor functions simply return NIL, but this is kludgy
and adds unnecessary overhead.

	/ Peter