[editor-hints-devel] Re: Comments about defreadtable

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Sat Sep 27 14:14:46 UTC 2008

Luis Oliveira <luismbo at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Here are a few random thoughts with regard to defreadtable:
>
>   1. This mechanism seems useful enough to me that the
>      non-editor-related bits could live in a separate
>      package/system/project.

I continued hacking on Named-Readtables. It's now a sorta
standalone-project. Its darcs repository can be found at

  http://common-lisp.net/~trittweiler/darcs/editor-hints/

>   2. Readtables should be named by symbols, not strings, in order to
>      avoid collisions between different code bases. Also, I suggest
>      defreadtable should signal a warning (or a style-warning) if a CL
>      or KEYWORD symbol is used to name a readtable. Again, the goal is
>      to avoid collisions.

I finally did this. Readtables are now indeed named by symbols.

>   3. MAKE-DISPATCH-MACRO-CHARACTER functionality is missing.  Perhaps
>      the :DISPATCH-MACRO-CHAR directive can check for
>      (null (get-macro-character macro-char)) and create that
>      dispatch-macro, or maybe another directive would be better.

A clause (:MACRO-CHAR char :DISPATCH non-terminating-p) will now expand
to a MAKE-DISPATCH-MACRO-CHARACTER invocation.

  -T.