[editor-hints-devel] Re: Comments about defreadtable

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Tue Jan 29 09:44:56 UTC 2008

Luis Oliveira <luismbo at gmail.com> writes:

>   1. This mechanism seems useful enough to me that the
>      non-editor-related bits could live in a separate
>      package/system/project.

I don't want to make it its own project. I'm afraid it could belittle
the (putative!) easy acceptance of the rest of Editor-hints.

Rationale:

  People who're interested in named readtables are probably authors of
  libraries, and they /should/ also be interested in the other stuff
  that Editor-hints is going to provide (especially the documentation
  bits.)

Furthermore, small projects do not necessarily correlate to more
popularity: if you, for instance, look at Nikodemus Siivola's hyperdoc
project. Which I'll revive by integrating it into Editor-hints.

(An counter example would be split-sequence and cl-utilities. Most
project simply depend on the split-sequence package rather than on
cl-utilities which also contains split-sequence plus half a dozen other
useful utilities.)

Putting Named-Readtables into their own system is something I initially
planned, but my ASDF-fu was too weak to get it working quickly, so I
settled for just one system for now.

(I'd like that simply linking the editor-hints.asd file is enough, and
that this will take care of also implicitly registering
named-readtables.)

  -T.