[eclipse-devel] Gnome not found during configuration

hatchond at labri.fr hatchond at labri.fr
Fri May 21 12:25:01 UTC 2004

Selon Christian Hofer <christian.hofer at gmx.de>:

> Hi,
>
> when I try to configure Eclipse, it will not create a gnome entry, even
> if I do
>
> ./configure --with-gnome-entry-dir /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/wm-properties/
>
> Do I make s.th. wrong or is it maybe not yet working with the new gnome
> version, or is this not the supposed directory?

As you noticed since gnome-2.0 things work differently on that side.
The wm-properties, AFAIK, does not exist or is not used anymore. In that case
you should do ./configure --without-gnome-entry-dir. After everything has been
compiled and installed, start your X gnome-session from the console. Before
starting your X session do an "export WINDOW_MANAGER=/path/to/eclipse", then
the window manager that will be started should be eclipse. Now exit and save
your session, and the next time you start it, eclipse should be your window
manager. It might be a delay during the first start because the gnome session
may not understand Eclipse as it should. The symptoms are the gnome splash
screen that stay for a long time on the window manager starting phase. But it
should start anyway.

For those who want to do that with KDE the env variable that has to be set is
KDEWM.

Please let me know if this does help or not or you still encounter any problems.

Regards,
Iban.