Flags for other platforms during static lib compilation?

Marius Gerbershagen marius.gerbershagen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 18:16:25 UTC 2021

I'm not sure that I'm understanding your question correctly, so let me
summarize the steps needed to cross-compile a lisp library in more details:

1. Cross-compile ECL itself. You can do this by essentially the same
steps as for iOS/Android detailed in the INSTALL file: first build a
"host ECL" (in your case a version of ECL that runs on Intel Macs), then
run configure with `--host` and `--with-cross-config` options and make
(this will use the host ECL to compile a target ECL, i.e. a version of
ECL which will run on the M1).

2. Start the host ECL built in step 1, set up the compiler paths and
flags as shown in the examples that I linked in my previous email.

3. Call compile-file, c:build-static-library or c:build-shared-library
etc. as usual. This will produce a binary for the target system (in your
case a M1 Mac) which is linked against the target ECL.
    Due to that, you can't directly load the fasl's that this
compilation procedure produces into the host ECL. Thus if you have
dependencies between files which necessitate loading files (for instance
if you define a macro in one file and use it in another), the easiest
option is to use the bytecompiler to load files. If this fails, you may
compile fasls using the default configuration of the host ECL (that is
restore all paths and flags set in step 2 to their default values) and
then load that.

I hope this explains how everything works.

Best,
Marius