Windows annoyance building ECL in Windows 10 with (free) MSVC compiler

PR polos.ruetz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 18:21:13 UTC 2020

Hi,

since I needed to build latest ECL for current Windows 10 (free! did
you know? I didn't!) with the command line tools included in (free as
in "register first") Visual Studio Express 2015, I encountered an
annoyance while building the garbage collector library:

The build in 'ecl/msvc' (using nmake.exe) failed early complaining
about not being able to find both 'libcmt.lib' and 'libvcruntime.lib'.

Since I struggled a while before finding the (simple) solution, I
wanted to put it here, just for reference.
The following fixed it for me:

Copy both files (see above) from / to:

  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\lib\onecore\amd64\
  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\lib\amd64\

Paul

P.S. about Windows 10 being "free": search the web for yourself, but
it's true: you can download an official ISO image of Windows 10 form
the MS website, and you're not required to purchase a license, if you
agree to not being able to customize its look and feel...; so, you
basically get both their OS and compiler suite for nothing more than
the patience of downloading some GB, and providing 'some' email
address for registering an account...