Static library for windows

Jón Hallur Haraldsson jonhallur at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 14:01:21 UTC 2019

Hi,

I was wonder if I could easily build a static version of ECL on windows to
link into other C++ projects without having to ship the ECL.dll with it.

There is a "ecl-static.lib" recipe in the Makefile in the ./msvc folder
which I can build after having built "all", but when linking that into an
application that does nothing but call cl_boot() the linker (VS2015)
complains with

LNK2019 unresolved external symbol __imp__cl_boot referenced in function
_main

When looking into the symbols of the ecl-static.lib (created by MS dumpbin
/symbols) the cl_boot function is defined but is UNDEF-ed so that the
linker tries to find __imp__cl_boot which is not in the ecl-static.lib

Looking through the mail list I came upon the mention of using
--disable-shared when configuring, which works for me on Linux, but I don't
know how to add that flag to the nmake environment on Windows (or if it is
there at all)

Regards,

Jón Hallur