ASDF 3.3 is released

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Sat Oct 7 20:59:31 UTC 2017

Today we release ASDF 3.3. The most substantial change is to the build
planning process, which has been reformed by François-René Rideau so
that DEFSYSTEM-DEPENDS-ON now behaves correctly.  There are a number of
other improvements, and we are indebted to Daniel Kochmanski, Rommel
Martinez, and Chun Tian for contributions.  Thanks again to Anton
Vodonosov and Dave Cooper for support in testing, and new thanks to
Martti Halminen, Jens K. Loewe, and Jason Miller.

I would like to dedicate this ASDF release to the late Elias Pipping.
On a technical level, Elias made great improvements in some of the most
challenging ASDF internals, notably the RUN-PROGRAM component of UIOP, a
place where implementations are not constrained by the language
specification, diverge radically from each other, and are poorly
documented.  On a personal level, Elias was very supportive to me as
ASDF maintainer, and while I was going through an illness.  He did all
these things despite being gravely ill with the cancer that eventually
killed him.  He will be greatly missed, Z'chrono L'vracha.

We urge implementations that are currently bundling previous versions of
ASDF to adopt 3.3.0 at their earliest convenience. The improvements
offered in this release will substantially improved the reliability and
predictability of ASDF use. Details on bugfixes can be found at
https://launchpad.net/asdf and in the discussions in merged branches of
https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/asdf/asdf

Here is the changelog entry for 3.3:

cl-asdf (2:3.3.0-1) unstable; urgency=low

   New milestone:
   * Build-plan: Extensively revised the build plan process so that
     :DEFSYSTEM-DEPENDS-ON would work correctly, even when depended on
systems
     change (which didn't work before). See our ELS demonstration about
it:
     "Delivering Common Lisp Applications with ASDF 3.3"
     < https://github.com/fare/asdf2017 >
   * Internals: to support the above, many ASDF internals have changed.
     ASDF now has the notion of multiple build phases to a common build
session
     (which generalizes the previous build cache). ASDF considers
     file as an operation DEFINE-OP, and tracks as dependencies files
mentioned
     during in :LOAD-FILE-FORM statements, etc. Some code has moved to
new
     files or among old files, and between packages. Actions are now
     uniformly represented as a CONS of an OPERATION and a COMPONENT,
where
     in some cases previously only the class of the operation was
     preserved. Forcing is constrained to be uniform across all phases
of a
     top level ASDF operation invocation. Fixed the protocol for
     resetting systems being (re)defined, allowing subclasses to define
     default slot values. Remove *LOAD-SYSTEM-OPERATION*, as the current
     maintainer of ECL, for which it was originally designed, decided
     that it could never be made to work properly, after all.
   * ASDF&UIOP: Tweak dependencies between ASDF and UIOP. To avoid
DEFINE-OP
     circularity, asdf.asd with no longer causes uiop.asd to be loaded.
     A standalone UIOP won't be loaded at all unless it's strictly more
recent
     than ASDF.
   * Tests: tests for new capabilities and bugs. Test backtraces can be
disabled.
   * Documentation: a number of improvements and clarifications.
   * Feature: a new feature :asdf3.3
   * ECL: restored the deprecated function MAKE-BUILD, removed in 3.2.0,
     in a way that works on top of supported APIs (we still recommend
you migrate
     to these supported APIs). Also stop using the deprecated
COMPUTE-INIT-NAME.
   * Deprecation: starting to emit STYLE-WARNINGs for deprecated
     functions.  Will gradually escalate to true WARNINGs and then
ERRORs.

   -- Robert P. Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net>  Sun, 20 August 2017
21:00:00 -0500

Robert P. Goldman
Research Fellow
Smart Information Flow Technologies (d/b/a SIFT, LLC)

319 N. First Ave., Suite 400
Minneapolis, MN 55401

Voice:	(612) 326-3934
Email:    rpgoldman at SIFT.net