[monolith builds]

Daniel Kochmański daniel at turtleware.eu
Sun Oct 4 12:27:42 UTC 2015

Faré writes:

>>> Fact that we might bundle many objects in one archive doesn't mean that
>>> they don't have dependencies on one another. *I think* that we have to
>>> strictly control initialization order. It's possible that I'm wrong here
>>> though.
>>>
> It *is* possible to strictly control initialization order while using
> linker functions:
> either ensure that you link objects in the correct order (duh),
> and/or have your ensure_foo_initialized functions explicitly call each
> other.

How will it be different from the current approach (except introducing
some compiler dependnet extensions)?

>>> Also do we want to *always* initialize *everything* what is linked? We
>>> may have compiled-in support for number of lisp libraries in one module
>>> just for conveniance and require them on demand depending on the
>>> application using our code.
>>>
> There again, the linker-called code could "just" register the initialization
> function to be called later, if that's what you want.

As above.

>>> I'm guessing here since it's a design decision made by someone
>>> else. Your proposition is surely worth investigating - it is like it is
>>> because it was that way when I approached the codebase.
>>>
> Some decisions that might have made sense 30 years ago when C++
> was a new thing and linkers didn't specially support constructors
> don't make sense 30 years later when linkers do.

Is there any clear benefit from using such constructors over the current
approach[1] (except the pride of using modern approach)?

> I'll attach my proof-of-concept code, that didn't make it to the list.
>
> —♯ƒ • François-René ÐVB Rideau •Reflection&Cybernethics• http://fare.tunes.org
> I'd rather write programs that write programs than write programs —
> Dick Sites

[1] Given it is bugfree(tm)

--
Daniel Kochmański | Poznań, Poland
;; aka jackdaniel

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi