[Ecls-list] Accessing cons values in C

Chris Osborne chris.osborne at gmx.com
Wed Jul 29 22:39:55 UTC 2015

Well, I can understand the sentiment, but whilst I said C, it’s actually modern C++ which is approaching lisp with every new standard IMO. I’m using ECL in an *extremely* overkill capacity to to act as “smart” config files and to run a simple REPL for the user to play around with configuring the application’s output how they want (rather than being yet another application that defines a new language lacking in logic for its interactive interface), thus all major computations are passed back to C++, so I’d rather be able to rapidly traverse the trees to extract the commands input by the user.

Anyhow, here’s the solution:
I just found that enable-smallcons is on by default (for some major performance gains when I looked into it). In this scenario, there’s a set of macros ECL_CONS_PTR, ECL_CONS_CAR etc. defined in object.h to access the cons pointers directly, not sure how I missed this earlier, but at least I’ve found it now (hopefully the info will also show up in the mailing list archive in a web search if anyone else needs it).

Cheers!