[Ecls-list] Testing re-organisation

Daniel Kochmański jackdaniel at hellsgate.pl
Mon Apr 6 19:47:04 UTC 2015

Hello,

I think approch with cloning git repository would be optimal. On the
other hand, I think duplication of effort by keeping separate ansi-tests
repository would be a waste, because each distribution can benefit from
common lisp ansi tests.

Original ansi-cl-tests repository has been recently forked by Robert Strandh:
https://github.com/robert-strandh/ansi-cl-tests, SICL creator, and it
has a few recent commits, which are relevant to ECL (I'm was working
lately on pstef/shiftf/rotatef bug pointed by Robert), and I think it's
a way to go

I'd be for option number two, because person, who is capable of building
ECL and wants to test it probably *has* git. On the other hand github
has "download as tarball" option as well (i don't know, just guessing).

Updating tests/Makefile is important, also to be able to do regression
tests, each version of ECL should be probably shipped with it's current
results (?) - what do you think?

Other very important thing in my opinion is something not related to
fixing something - rather describing. We lack proper documentation about
testing process - we have two testing methods, one with cl-test-grid,
and second with ansi-cl-tests. Neither is described on wiki, or any
README, what is a big issue, if someone is willing to do the testing,
but has no idea how. I believe that wikipedia entry is something, we
should do in the near future.

Open question also persists about how to test ECL on various operating
systems - even if we have great support from people doing it on
Linux/Darwin/Windows, nobody does it on other unix machines, yet we have
a few bugs if you look at bug reports (on sf.net for now).

Best regards,
Daniel