[Ecls-list] CLtL2 environment functions (chapter 8.5)

Bruce-Robert Fenn Pocock brpocock at star-hope.org
Fri May 16 15:49:11 UTC 2014

> On May 8, 2014, at 16:43 , Marco Antoniotti <marcoxa at cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > this is a feature request.  I am writing a code parser/analyzer for CL
> > and TRT to do is to get implementors to provide the CTtL2
> > Environment functions.  Currently SBCL, CMUCL, LW and ACL
> > provide the necessary functionality.  ABCL will (I extorted a promise
> > from Mark Evenson at ELS2014).
> >
> > It would therefore be very nice if ECL could provide the functionality
> > out-of-the-box, maybe following the outline implementation from Franz.

I see that Franz has implemented some extended form (as allowable by the
CLtL2 definitions) with some documentation here —
http://franz.com/support/documentation/current/doc/environments.htm
and SBCL notably has a test suite for their implementation — in
contrib/sb-cltl2/tests.lisp

> > Of course, the standard answer “ECL is open source so *you*
> > should write it” would be a bit trite

… but, no less true…

> > 3:) 3:)  Time is limited and a person with the right knowledge of
> > the guts of an implementation can do it much faster.

I believe I can speak on behalf of the maintainers if I say that ECL has
very little resources (i.e. programmer time) available, and it is not very
likely that someone will be able to devote time to such a feature request
until or unless it's needed by their own projects; thus, while perhaps one
of them might be able to do so in fewer hours, those hours are likely to be
months, or years, away.

Perhaps if anyone more knowledgeable about ECL's internal environment
structures and evaluation systems would care to provide some pointers on
this thread, then perhaps that would assist you in your goal?