[Ecls-list] Automatic string conversion - wanted or needed?

Philipp Marek philipp at marek.priv.at
Sat Apr 26 18:26:43 UTC 2014

Hi everybody,

on my way through the quicklisp systems I encountered a failure in closure-common, which
is needed by eg. dbus (through cxml).

In cxml/xml/xml-parse.lisp there's a definition

  (defstruct (internal-entdef
    (value (error "missing argument") :type rod)

and closure-common/utf8.lisp has

  (deftype rune () 'character)
  (deftype rod () '(vector rune))

In ECL the double_quote_reader() in src/c/read.d included a
conversion, so that

  (TYPE-OF "Σ") has CHARACTERS, but
  (TYPE-OF "a") "only" BASE-CHARs.

But with that conversion the :TYPE ROD in INTERNAL-ENTDEF
isn't satiesfied anymore.

Now, my question - is it okay to remove the type conversion as
in the attached patch? Or should it be kept that way, because
of some CL requirements?
  (I checked SBCL, ABCL, and CLISP - all of these return
   CHARACTERS for _both_ of the above TYPE-OF forms.)

Any help, ideas, or comments are welcome.