[Ecls-list] Project status and changes (directions? help?)

Dima Pasechnik dimpase+ecl at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 22:58:19 UTC 2013

On 21 October 2013 05:16, Matthew Mondor <mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Oct 2013 10:54:01 +0200
> Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> * *I am resigning and opening the position of ECL maintainer for anyone to
>> take*. I will grant him or her with full administrative rights and full
>> responsibility over the project's future. No need to fork the project: if
>> you really feel you can make it better, step ahead and take it. I will
>> remain as a support developer and help you as much as I can.
>>
>> * If no one takes over maintenance, I will *continue working as I can*,
>> when I can. This may be *unsatisfactory* for many of you -- if this is the
>> case, I am sorry, but that's all there is.
>>
>> * I am also *abandoning the effort to do extensive testing of ECL on
>> various platforms*. If you are interested on a particular platform, you
>> will have to build and test yourself and report problems through SF's bug
>> report.
>
> I was told recently that the SAGE project could possibly help to provide
> development/testing resources (I have had no confirmation of this
> yet though, it was an informal IRC discussion with a NetBSD developer
> who would have liked me to offer to maintain ECL).  It would be nice to
> build a list of people or organizations who care enough about ECL to
> join in occasional such OS/compiler related tests and fixes for the
> platform(s) they use the most.

Just FYI, Sage (www.sagemath.org) project
tests a distribution of ECL as a part of Sage, mainly used to build/run
Maxima (as a library callable from Python, as well as a standalone
Maxima version). These tests happen on a regular basis, automatically,
but the ECL version is not necessarily the "current" one. They happen
only on platforms on which Sage runs, that is to say, different
flavours of Linux (Intel only at the moment, although we look into
possibilities to test on ARM), OSX (different versions). Sage has
recently been ported to Windows/Cygwin(32/64), but so far no regular
testing is happening on such a platform.
Some testing also happens on Solaris (different versions, Intel as
well as SPARC).
Tests are triggered by patches/commits into a development version of Sage.

It is probably relatively easy to adapt this framework to ECL testing,
and run more ECL tests (for the development version, I suppose) but it
would need some  work.

Best,
Dmitrii