[Ecls-list] Project status and changes (please read)

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Mon Oct 14 14:49:48 UTC 2013

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 09:10:57 +0200
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://bsdmp.org/
> http://crd-legacy.lbl.gov/~dhbailey/mpdist/ (although the license for this
> one appears to want you to fill in your contact details, despite looking
> like a BSD license?)

After having looked briefly I have the impression that using an older
version of GMP or MPIR which is still under LGPL2 still seems better:

- GMP is already mature (and has been tested stable with ECL),
  it's documented and supports optimizations for a fair number of
  architectures, build scripts for various OSs
- The API used by the other libraries is of course different, needing
  some work to adapt ECL to them

BSDMP appears i386/amd64 centric, and mpdist seems to be FORTRAN and
C++ (no current ECL dependency requires C++, I'm not sure if that would
be a problem today though).

I have not looked at the other list you mentioned yet though, and was
not aware of these projects, thanks for the links.
--
Matt