[Ecls-list] Getting things going

Anton Vodonosov avodonosov at yandex.ru
Wed Nov 6 02:36:27 UTC 2013

22.10.2013, 17:11, "Dietrich Bollmann" <dietrich at formgames.org>:
> Wouldn't it be possible to integrate the testing and benchmarking in the build process?  something like 'make test' and 'make benchmark' generating reports which then could be send to some email address?
> People downloading and updating ECL could help out on a voluntary basis by providing these reports without being a formal member of some group and even when they do not know enough to help at other places.

Dietrich, there is a tool created exactly with the intention
you described - allow people to collectively collect test results:
https://github.com/cl-test-grid/cl-test-grid/

cl-test-grid runs fresh recompilation of every ASDF system
in Quicklisp and testsuites of the most often used libraries
(currently 68 testsuites).

As Juan Jose noted, the test results contributor should
install cl-test-grid and perform some initial configuration,
and then let the tests to run for several hours on his machine.

Despite this requires some commitment, there are people who regularly
contribute test results, including form ECL. To see what
lisps have been tested, we can open cl-test-grid report
for any library, for example alexandria:
http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-test-grid/library/alexandria.html

We can also compare test results of two versions of ECL,
and review the difference in test results. This is exactly what
I am going to do for the pre-release testing of ECL -
compare test results of the previous release and the new one,
report the differences to the list.

Best regards,
- Anton