[Ecls-list] Announce: A new C++ based implementation of Common Lisp based on the ECL CL code

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 21:49:09 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 10:35 PM, Peter Enerccio <enerccio at gmail.com> wrote:

> Adding my $0.02 to using ecl with c++, it is quite well possible, but very
> tiresome. For every method call, you have to write static wrapper which
> will cast all the
> pointer(s) into respectable type and call the method with arguments. Doing
> so by hand is very impossible, however, doing so with automatic wrapper is
> quite easy.
> The downsize is that you end up with 2000 lines of lisp and 4000 lines of
> c++ wrappers which do nothing.

Unfortunately this seems to be the problem with dynamic languages. After
all, they have very different semantics: when I write a Tensor class from
my C++ library the compiler may decide instantaneously whether it is a real
or a complex tensor. When such objects have to be passed to Common Lisp we
need additional logic that implements at run time the dispatch that is
absent in the C++ code. It is definitely a hard problem.