[Ecls-list] SIMPLE-ERROR: In interpreted code, attempted to call a foreign function but ECL was build without support for that.

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 15:45:28 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Dietrich Bollmann
<dietrich at formgames.org>wrote:

> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 6:13 PM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <
> juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> The CFFI model is simply too rigid: they assume that libraries can be
>> loaded at run time, always. Instead ECL supports also a model in which
>> libraries are linked with the compiled code, being available that way. I
>> fear there is no way to work around this but using ECL's own FFI mingled
>> with CFFI
>>
>> > (ql:quickload :cffi)
>> > (compile-file "foo.lsp" :load t)
>>

> Here what I get when trying this on windows:

Your problem was the way you load quicklisp: you did it using the
interpreter. If you use the C compiler, this has to be done all the way
through, from the very beginning, as follows

(require :cmp)

(load "~/quicklisp/setup.lisp")

(ql:quickload :cffi)

(compile-file "foo.lsp")

So, I insist: it is possible to build and compile object files on Windows
using the FFI. You simply have to deactivate the bytecodes compiler before
doing anything.