[Ecls-list] ECL to forge sounds in realtime

Tito Latini tito.01beta at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 08:56:55 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm writing a music/dsp programming environment for Common Lisp called
Incudine [1]. Currently it works only with SBCL but I'm interested in
the possibility to use also ECL. The principal reason is to bypass the
problems of the gc in SBCL with this type of applications. However, I
cannot hide the curiosity to use your fascinating implementation of
CL, the combined use of Lisp and C is interesting and I presume the
performance is good for realtime audio. Nice to read the list in a
recent post "Upcoming". Besides, I have noticed that it is probably
not difficult to change the gc if it is necessary.

I tested ECL at the start of my project but without success. No
investigated the reasons but preferred to use the time to build all
the other things. Now I have ecl-a40c190 on linux x86_64 and I'll
start the experience.

I would appreciate any suggestions about portable COMPARE-AND-SWAP and
memory barrier facilities. In the past I used non-portable code
inlined in C.

In my code, the expansion of the definition of a synth is a big block
(here is an example: [2]). The generated code is optimized in SBCL and
there is not garbage during the performance. It is a great success. I
would like to know if the procedures to get cons-free code are similar
or if you could point me towards the right direction (links to existent
efficient code are useful).

Tito Latini

[1] http://incudine.sourceforge.net
[2] http://incudine.sourceforge.net/tutorial_04.html