[Ecls-list] ASDF support for deferred warnings in ECL?

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 21:27:54 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 10:05 PM, Karsten Poeck <karsten.poeck at gmail.com>wrote:

> I thought the whole purpose of with-compilation-unit was to defer
> warnings about undefined functions (forward references).

ECL does not ever create such warnings. The only warnings it produces is
about undefined variables, but those would be actual errors, and not the
source of forward definitions -- i.e. for the code to be properly compiled
some defvar/defparameter should have been executed before and then the
warning would disappear.

In view of this the main questions are:

a. Should I add those style warnings about undefined functions?

b. What other actions should ECL defer until the end and thus become useful
w.r.t. with-compilation-unit?

c. How can I help improve the interaction between ASDF and ECL in this
respect? A hook into with-compilation-unit? A hook into the signaling of
warnings to keep track of them?