[Ecls-list] ASDF support for deferred warnings in ECL?

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 16:39:50 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:

> For that, I want to properly handle forward reference warnings from
> files that are *not* being (re)compiled in the current session but
> have been in a previous one. And so on supported implementations
> (currently CCL, SBCL), I am saving the deferred warnings about such
> forward references. Could you help me do that with ECL?

Perhaps I am a bit confused. I never really understood the purpose of
WITH-COMPILATION-UNIT http://clhs.lisp.se/Body/m_w_comp.htm The text says

"actions deferred by the compiler until the end of compilation will be
deferred until the end of the outermost call to with-compilation-unit."

But since ECL really does not defer any action, but rather shows warnings
as it goes, I never saw how to make it really useful.

In particular I do not understand what it means "properly handle forward
reference warnings". Is this about missing variables, functions and macros?
So you want to save all warnings from a compiled file so that it can be
output together with all the warnings of all newly compiled files at the
end of a system?

That kind of means that you are going to tweak WITH-COMPILATION-UNIT, but I
do not see what would you do with the warnings in ECL because, as I said,
they are not collected for later use, they are just output as the compiler
proceeds.